Thursday Movie Picks: All in the Family Edition - Married Couple Movies

This is the first of All in the Family Edition of Thursday Movie picks hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week's theme is about married couple movies. Here are my picks this week:

When two of my favorite comedians come together for one movie, I am bound to be onboard (and wishing for more collaborations from them). Steve Carell and Tina Fey star in Date Night, portraying a couple in a dating rut as they stagger through their days busy with work and family, and their date night seems to be a repeated routine for them. When news of their friends divorcing hit them, it gave Claire Foster this hope to spice their date night up, which Phil does and takes her to the city. Well, in this case, they got more than they bargained for as a series of events unfolded all because they took someone else’s table reservation. Both actors had onscreen chemistry, and I would love for them to work on another project together. 

The movie Neighbors divulges to the lives of Mac and Kelly Radner as a married couple and at the same time dealing with a fraternity that moves next door. There’s a lot of funny moments among the three stars, and it allowed Rose Byrne and Zac Efron to show their comedic chops. It’s not my favorite movie of 2014, but it was still funny. 

Gearing away from the comedic side of married couple movies, there is Smashed, a movie that deals with alcoholism and its effects in one’s life. Mary Elizabeth Winstead gives a powerful performance here, and *spoiler* one of the hard things she had to do was to walk away from her husband, who was also an alcoholic (but doesn’t admit to it)*end spoiler*.

18 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Smashed, and it sounds like something I would like. Is that Aaron Paul?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Aaron Paul plays the husband. He was also good in that one.

      Delete
    2. Now I'm even more eager to see the movie. He's a terrific actor.

      Delete
  2. I really had fun watching Neighbors, much more than I expected I would. Didn't much care for Date Night, though. Smashed sounds interesting, might have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne had great onscreen chemistry, so it was fun seeing them try to take down the frat house.

      Delete
  3. I still haven't seen Neighbours. It seems that the consensus is that it was unexpectedly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good comedy movie. I was surprised with Zac Efron and how he has comedic chops, very inspired casting!

      Delete
  4. Date Night was silly fun but I didn't care much for Neighbors. It started off well but seemed to lose its way around the middle. Never heard of Smashed but it sounds worthy checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smashed was wonderful, albeit sad. I found it easy to relate with the main character as she portrays the harsh realities of trying to get over a personal hurdle in life.

      Delete
  5. Excellent picks! I loved Smashed and Neighbors. Date Night was pretty decent too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great, inspired choices! Love the different marital vantage points here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care what people say, I LOVE Date Night. Fey and Carrell have great chemistry, especially in the restaurant improvising the conversations other couples are having. I still need to see Neighbors. I wasn't going to but then literally everyone said it was really funny, so I guess it must be true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neighbors is funny! The onscreen banter between the characters was fun to watch, and overall it was an enjoyable movie.

      Delete
  8. Love seeing Neighbors here, Kelly and Mac's relationship was so sweet even though it was not perfect, it really grounded the movie and made it relatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relationships aren't perfect, and I liked how they work things out, both the good and the bad things in their lives.

      Delete
  9. Neighbors is a funny movie to pick as a marriage couple movie. It was fun and entertaining. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete