Thursday Movie Picks: Father-Son Relationships (Biologically Related)

It’s another Thursday, which means it’s time for Thursday Movie Picks, hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves! There’s still plenty of time to join, so hop over to her site for the year’s set of themes! On the last Thursday of each month, she devotes it to a special segment entitled All in the Family Edition. This week’s theme are father and son relationships, with them being biologically related. I didn't pick father and son movies, but rather focused this week's picks on the relationship that the two people are trying to forge. Here are are my picks this week:


When we first meet Stoick and Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon, the father-and-son didn’t see eye to eye. At first, it was about Hiccup wanting to help more with the dragon slaying using his gadgets, and Stoick deeming him too weak for the job. Then, when Hiccup develops a friendship with Toothless, it became about their beliefs as to what makes a person a true Viking. For Stoick, slaying a dragon is a rite of passage, but Hiccup refused to do so because he knows that dragons are different than what their people see. The strong bond between Stoick and Hiccup plays a central role in both How to Train Your Dragon movies, as even when they don’t see eye to eye at times, Stoick will always be there for his son. 

Before Midnight started off with Jesse bringing his son in the airport, conversing about the summer and future plans. Their relationship with each other is distant, as Jesse isn’t there for most of his son’s life, with him living in Paris and his son jetting to Europe during the summer. Jesse’s relationship with him comes to air during an argument when he voices out his need to be there for the formative years of his son’s life. 

Andrew’s relationship with his father is average, at best. As Whiplash dives to their scenes, it's evident that they go through a routine. While Andrew isn't as accomplished as the rest of his familial peers, he strives to be a perfectionist and his father was very supportive of him. His endless support and love for his son culminates in their final scene together. While it doesn't look like both father and son are chummy with each other, what is important is the essence of the relationship, that in the end, they have your back.

16 comments:

  1. I just saw Whiplash today, and I was thinking that the moments between Andrew and his father were very much the most impactful, especially when he leaves his father's arms for the stage...great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole sequence was a wonderful scene; the strength of their relation seems subtle, but it does make an impact.

      Delete
  2. I've only seen HTTYD and I like it quite a bit. Hope to be seeing Whiplash pretty soon. One of these days I'm just going to binge-watch the Before movies. At least I keep telling myself that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whiplash was an amazing film, I was surprised to see it nominated for Oscars, I didn't expect that its momentum was that strong.

      Delete
  3. Ah, that Stoick and Hiccup relationship---that's even reaching the climax in HTTYD 2. That's awesome! Ah, and Whiplash... the scene prior to the final scene, that's so touching. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking back, the father-son relationship was perhaps the best unsung factor about the film, so much of the acclaim was focused on student-teacher relationship but that final scene and that hug was a great moment

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I love that you chose HTTYD and Whiplash. The latter even more so after how the sequel ended. It's a perfect example. I love how Andrew ran to his father towards the end of Whiplash as well. That was a touching moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've watched HTTYD but I forget that it's a father-son movie, haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to pick How To Train Your Dragon, but the pain of the sequel not getting the Oscar is still too raw. Suffice it to say, they are both among my all-time favorite movies, and I LOVE Stoick and Hiccup's relationship. The scene where Stoick gives Hiccup the helmet because he's heard his boy is doing so well in training is SO. FUNNY.

    Reframing Before Midnight as a film about a father and son is really interesting. I never thought about just how much that relationship drives that film before. Love that movie so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, I haven't seen any of these! I have Whiplash in my queue so I'll be catching up with it soon. I'm not an animation fan so the Dragon movie is probably a no for me. I can't stand Ethan Hawke and didn't like Boyhood nor Before Sunrise at all so I'm thinking Before Midnight isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whiplash is an excellent pick here. Just re-watched it and the father/son aspect may be my favorite thing about it. I still need to see the final Before movie. Love the first two! How to Train Your Dragon escapes me. I am so bad about seeing animated movies. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of these 3, I've only seen How to Train Your Dragon, but what a great choice! I can't wait to see Whiplash. I think it's just come to DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really did consider Before Midnight this week. I like how they conveyed the deep need and yearning Jesse has to be more involved with his son but can't due to various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome picks. Good to see How To Train Your Dragon being selected. Whiplash was close to being on my list.

    ReplyDelete