Against The Crowd Blogathon 2017

It's that time of the year! Dell on Movies and KG's Movie Rants are hosting the Against the Crowd Blogathon. It runs from August 14 to 20. I've participated in this for three years now, and it's been really fun. Here are the rules:

1. Pick one movie that "everyone" loves (the more iconic, the better). That movie must have a score of 75% or more on rottentomatoes.com [or 7.0 on imdb]. Tell us why you hate it.
2. Pick one movie that "everyone" hates (the more notorious, the better). That movie must have a score of 35% or less on rottentomatoes.com [or 4.0 on imdb]. Tell us why you love it.
3. Include the tomato meter scores of both movies.
My choices for this year's entry are both movies that I am surprised that are not liked/disliked more. Here are my choices for the blogathon:

MOVIE THAT "EVERYONE" LOVES


The Overnight
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 81%

How is this 81% in Rotten Tomatoes? How?! I'm really surprised a lot of people liked this. The Overnight was a boring piece of pretentious filmmaking. This was getting some praise, and Adam Scott was in this so I went ahead and watched it. Maybe I shouldn't have. I'm pretty certain that anything with Jason Schwartzman (outside of his collaborations with Wes Anderson) was going to go way over my head, so the movie didn't stand a chance. I didn't find this one funny or witty.

Don't kill me, but I think the female equivalent of a Jason Schwartzman movie is a Greta Gerwig movie. They both have that kind of humor going on for them, but I do like some of Gerwig's stuff that I've seen, and understand why it's highly rated. I might have walked in this one thinking I would at least enjoy it. 

MOVIE THAT "EVERYONE" HATES

White Chicks
Rotten Tomatoes Score: 15%

I don't get why people do not like this movie. It is so hilarious. It has two FBI cops posing as high socialite women for a case they were trying to solve. The movie isn't about the case, but more on the antics they get into. I immediately associate '100 miles' by Vanessa Carlton with this. Terry Crews was hilarious, and I love the camaraderie between Marlon and Shawn Wayans with Busy Phillips, Jennifer Carpenter and Jessica Cauffiel. That club dance battle? Awesome. 

14 comments:

  1. I had White Chicks as a couple of years ago. It's fucking hilarious. Plus, Terry Crews made me laugh so much as any scene he's in is the best. "Easy there white chocolate. I don't want you to melt".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love The Overnight, nor did I hate it. I thought the first two acts were pretty decent, but it fell apart in the third. So, overall it was a "meh" experience. I had no idea it was so highly regarded. On the other hand, I am one of those who hates White Chicks. Aside from a couple of Terry Crews moments, I don't find anything about it funny. And that makeup was just beyond hideous. They barely looked human. That you love it makes it a perfect fit for the task at hand. Thanks for participating year after year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know how The Overnight was getting good buzz, I wasn't really looking at this when I was thinking of what to write about for the blogathon but I checked the RT rating and was really surprised that I had to go with it.

      Delete
  3. YASSSS WHITE CHICKS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS

    I'm passionate about that movie. It's so stupid but so hilarious. I've never seen The Overnight though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whaaatt???? White Chicks only has a rating of 15%??? That's ridiculous. I LOVE this movie. Actually went and found 'A Thousand Miles' by Vanessa Carlton and listening to it as I type. That scene where Terry Crews sings it in the car HAHAHHAHAH!! "What a beautiful chocolate man!"

    I haven't watched The Overnight, actually hadn't heard of it till I read this. I'm guessing that I should just avoid it.

    Thanks so much for participating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you're a fan of Schwartzman or his kind of movies, The Overnight is worth skipping.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of The Overnight but I feel the same way about Jason Schwartzman and to an extent Greta Gerwig. I do like Adam Scott though so if I do watch I'll approach with caution! I've avoid White Chicks all these years because of its horrendous rep and just the look of the snippets I've seen but I love Terry Crews on Brooklyn 9-9 so perhaps I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry Crews was funny in White Chicks; I also love him in Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen any of these but White Chicks sounds hilarious. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen either of those but I know White Chicks has pretty big following and is considered quite a classic, so it's RT yet again getting things wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Chicks isn't a quality movie but it is entertaining.

      Delete