Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express chronicled one of Hercule Poirot's adventures. Poirot is a detective and is a main character in one of Agatha Christie's series. This has a man getting murdered while on a train heading to London, and Poirot was tasked to uncover whom among the passengers is the culprit. Directed by Kenneth Branagh, this brings another feature retelling to the big screen.

Branagh's approach to the subject was straight-forward. He established that Poirot is a man of deduction before launching into a murder mystery that engulfs most of the movie. His portrayal of Poirot was rigid and without flair. For a man who was theatrical, I have expected Poirot to be with theatrics as well. The main players of the mystery are deduced to pieces that are there to move the plot, with Poirot revealing more and more details about his passengers as the film progressed. 

This was a slow burn kind of film, and if you're aware of the results, this might not be an impressive adaptation. I haven't read the book, but I have seen an adaptation of the piece; in terms of plot and progression, nothing is new for me. However, just because I was aware of the events does not mean that I cannot enjoy or be entertained by another adaptation. 

The production was where the film lost me. I wasn't a fan of the direction the cinematographer took, with the overhead shots for prolonged periods of time, or the uneveness of the shot. For a film that was set in a tight enclosed space, I expected that it would be filmed up close, being able to capture details, reactions, and the rush of things. I thought that everything seemed disconnected, aloof. The character portrayals weren't at par. I don't think anyone gave a bad performance, but to have a pool of talent like that, I wish they were given more to do. The set and costumes, on the other hand, were aesthetically pleasing. 

This would have been far more enjoyable if one was to go in not knowing anything about it. The movie felt dry. I think it is possible for a well known work, even if it was adapted at numerous time, to wow people. Unfortunately, this wasn't it for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment