Thursday Movie Picks: Sundance Favorites

Thursday Movie Picks is hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. For the list of this year's themes, head over to her site and join in! This week's theme is Sundance favorites. I had to check lists of what films played at Sundance, so this is kind of a cheat. I did like a lot of films that played in the festival, but limited my choices to those I haven't used yet in a Thursday Movie Picks post. Here are my picks for the week.

Broken English - This stars Parker Posey and Melvil Paupaud, and it's a romantic comedy between two people who meet at a party in New York. I haven't seen the film lately, but I do remember liking their story a lot and wished it would have been longer. There was a side story involving Drea de Matteo (not related to the love story) that I wasn't a fan of, but overall it's a favorite of mine. 

Kinky Boots - This one has Chiwetel Eljiofor and Joel Edgerton, with the latter playing a shoemaker who needs to stay in business, and finds his niche market through Eljiofor, who plays a drag queen. This is now a broadway musical, and after watching this film I am now inclined to check out the musical. 

In Bruges - This is what made me notice Colin Farrell again. This has Farrell and Brendan Gleeson laying low in Bruges, waiting for the order of their boss. This was sharp and hilarious. It is definitely Farrell's best film for me.

10 comments:

  1. I definitely need to see In Bruges soon, it's on my list but I'm currently watching everything else tho. But don't feel bad, I had to check lists as well because I don't know what's been shown on Sundance by heart, geez. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Bruges is a fantastic film; Colin Farrell was amazing in it.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE In Bruges. I really need to see Kinky Boots, I have it in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to enjoy Kinky Boots as much as I did. I should have seen the musical when I had the chance. I hope you get to watch it soon!

      Delete
  3. I think most of us went scrambling to Google this week. I know I did. I've only seen In Bruges and it's a wonderful film. The chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson makes it go. Jordan Prentice and Ralph Fiennes were also great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure what to expect of In Bruges when I first watched it, but Farrell and Gleeson made it work and the whole thing was amazing from start to end.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Kinky Boots! I sort of stumbled across it, my buddy and I went to see a film that was sold out and this one was starting in a few minutes so we took a chance and both of us really enjoyed it. It's the film where I became aware of both the lead actors and have been a fan and followed their careers ever since.

    In Bruges is a very fun film. I've been a Colin Farrell fan since Tigerland and while he's always been watchable some of his choices between that film and this were questionable so it was good to see him find his footing again. He might not have the biggest career but he's a fine actor who makes interesting films.

    I haven't seen Broken English but I like Parker Posey so I'll have to track it down.

    Like most everyone else I had to resort to Google this week to make sure the films I picked qualified as Sundance faves.

    Silverlake Life: The View from Here (1993) - Won the Grand Jury Documentary Prize at Sundance. Mark Massi and Tom Joslin are in a long time committed relationship, they have also both been diagnosed with AIDS which at the time was a death sentence. We live through their final journey with them. The film has touches of gallows humor but it is a harrowing, heartbreaking trip to an inevitable destination that will leave you emotionally bereft.

    Big Night (1996) - Won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at Sundance. Primo (Tony Shalhoub) and Secondo (Stanley Tucci-who co-wrote and co-directed this film) are immigrant brothers who operate an Italian restaurant in America. Primo is a culinary genius, but hot tempered and determined not to squander his expertise making the routine dishes that customers expect. Secondo is the smooth front-man, trying to keep the restaurant financially afloat, despite few patrons other than a poor artist who pays with his paintings. Their friendly competitor who owns a nearby enormously successful restaurant offers a solution, a special benefit lead by a big-time jazz musician who is a friend of his. Excitedly Primo begins to prepare his feast of a lifetime for the brothers' big night. Amusing comic drama with a terrific cast alongside Tucci and Shalhoub including Isabella Rossellini, Minnie Driver and Liev Schreiber.

    You Can Count on Me (2000) - Won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at Sundance. Independent, responsible Sammy Prescott (Laura Linney) is a single mother working as a loan officer in upstate New York who is at first delighted when her errant, feckless brother Terry (Mark Ruffalo) shows up unexpectedly for a visit after a long period of not being in touch. When his short visit stretches into an extended stay they both slowly begin to reexamine their lives as their childhood bond strengthens anew. Beautifully acted this is one of the best looks at sibling rivalry and connection ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love in Bruges! It's the movie that made me fall in love with Martin McDonagh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen your first two picks.

    In Bruges I love.

    ReplyDelete