Thursday, March 27

God is in the Movies Blogathon

Inspired by the stream of biblical-related films being released this year, Fisti's blogathon aims to ask bloggers how they like god/biblical tales interpreted in film. I have limited knowledge when it comes to direct storytelling from the bible (like biblical epics), and was supposed to go with a very long answer  (but ultimately changed said answer) hence for this blogathon, I'm answering his question with two non-biblical movies: Life of Pi and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. 

While the events that conspired in Ang Lee's Life of Pi are far from a biblical story, the presence of his faith and spirituality are there. It could be argued that his survival was due to his persistence, but he was a man of faith, and it is enough for him to believe that through divine intervention, he was able to survive weeks on open water, and with a tiger, no less. It can be said though, that even when there was an improbable chance of survival, he still had a lingering hope that he will find land, and get to safety. 

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was based on a long series of books by C.S. Lewis, who had Christian influences streamed in his writing. The condition of Narnia can be viewed as the condition of the world, a world that is locked in darkness, fighting to see the light. Narnians believed in Aslan, who represents a higher being, and the children who he calls upon his servants, those who lead the fight against the darkness. As the movie led to its subsequent sequels, there are more factors present that touch on aspects on people's faith. The great thing about Narnia is that the religious factors are not only applicable to one belief, at least to the ones I am familiar of. I myself have limited knowledge on other religions and beliefs, so as to not offend anyone (this is a sensitive topic, I must admit, though I find discussions a learning experience because I'd like to know and understand more, and to be able to ask questions and learn new things) I won't discuss it any further. 

To sum up, I prefer finding my spirituality in films where faith can be applied, as opposed to direct storytelling or other forms. For one, religious inaccuracies arise and debates are launched, until it overshadows the intent of the filmmaker. I also find some direct storytelling a bit daunting and quite tedious to watch. I'm not impartial to a fictionalized take on religion (an example of this would be The DaVinci Code, or the follow up Angels and Demons), but it's not my piece of cake either. Having an indirect approach to faith allows a believer to interpret with his/her own intellect and understanding, to not have certain strict norms forced upon them. I believe that is it through our own experiences and choices that we find our spirituality, and where we stand with our own beliefs.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I have to say, I completely agree with you. The subtle or 'applied' discussion of faith is really the most intriguing because it allows every viewer to place themselves within the story and never alienates. 'Life of Pi' is a perfect choice, especially the novel it is based on, which for me has a deeper spiritual narrative.

    Thank you so much for joining the blogathon. I've extended the due date, so I'll be linking this to my post on April 18th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The blogathon was fun - difficult, but fun! :)

      Delete