Skip to main content

A Fisti Recast-athon

Andrew from A Fistful of Films is hosting a blogathon! I actually found this really challenging because most movies that I watch and like usually star white people. In a bit of researching (just in case I missed some actresses I watch), there really isn't much people of color in most movies. Some articles discuss the lack of people of color in film and television, or how they're not making as much as their white person counterpart. Before anything else, here are the rules:
1) Pick an OSCAR NOMINATED performance given by a white actress that didn't require a white actress (no biopics here, even though Todd Haynes taught us that you don't need to be the same race or gender to play a real life person). This performance can come from ANY film year.
2) Pick an actress of color who could have been a great fit for the role instead of the one cast. Keep in mind the time of release and chose actresses who were working at that time. So, in other words, don't select the role of Calla Mackie in 1968's Rachel, Rachel (played by Estelle Parsons) and suggest it be a great fit for Naomie Harris, because, well, she wasn't born for another eight years.
3) Explain WHY that actress would have made a great fit. Plead her case. Let's tell those Hollywood casting directors what they're missing.
4)  Have your post up by Friday, September 26th. I've giving you a little bit of time on this one, and by all means, do a BUNCH OF THEM! Spread the word. Invite any and all to the recast-athon and let's give these actresses a voice!
5) You can post a link to your post here in the comment section, PM me on Twitter (@fististhoughts) or email me (andrew.ellington@hotmail.com). You can use the banner I created above, or by all means use your own!

Below are some of my choices...


Zoe Saldana dominates franchises - from Star Trek, to Avatar and now Guardians of the Galaxy. In these franchises, she's always playing strong, tough women who's always in fighting mode and kicking ass. However, Rabbit Hole can present an opportunity for her to play another strong role, yet there is more vulnerability and depth present. It's a different setting from what she's usually seen it, and while I think Nicole Kidman's performance is great, I think that Saldana can deliver a powerful performance as well. I think she has a range of emotions that can be tapped for the role, as Becca seems like a complex character, and her experience is something a mother wouldn't want to experience. I really think that Saldana could have brought more out from the character, and is possible to surpass Kidman's portrayal of the character. 


Granted most of her work involves Glee, but Naya Rivera plays a character outside the stereotypical expectations that is given to her. While I don't think that Jennifer Lawrence's role is Oscar-worthy, I think that Rivera could have added some spunk to the crazy character Tiffany is. In the movie, Tiffany was supposed to come off as a bit sultry, but I don't think Lawrence had it in her. I do however think that Rivera could pull off the sultry yet semi-psychotic role the role will ask of her. 



Both Sandra Bullock and Halle Berry are big stars on their own right, but I think that Berry could have done a splendid job as Bullock did. Halle Berry's work is currently questionable, but I think that she has the capability to give a strong performance in one of the year's greatest films. She has provided some great performances in her previous work, and I think such a brilliant role would have brought so much out from her. 

I also wanted to include Mindy Kaling for Bridget Jones Diary, but it would have to be the Mindy Kaling now (so this may be in violation of one restriction). There's Lana Parilla for Streep's role in The Devil Wears Prada (both Streep and Parilla could pull off a scary performance, but age-wise, Parilla might be too young for the role). Vanessa Williams could also steal Streep's role in the same movie, but her performance may be too reminiscent of her Ugly Betty persona. Another would be Cote de Pablo for Helen Hunt's role in The Sessions, but that's technically a bio-pic, as the film is based on an article. Also, Zoe Saldana (again) as Selina Kyle because I think she would have given a much better performance than Anne Hathaway (this was the first recast I thought of), but the role wasn't Oscar nominated.

Comments

  1. This was certainly a tough one. To be honest I haven't really been able to find much and the best I've come up with was to find a classic male character that could be played by a woman of any ethnicity. It was actually pretty well received and apparently I made a very good case for my chosen character especially since it was one who could benefit from being ethnically ambiguous (http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2014/08/a-classic-male-character-that-could-be.html).

    I've only seen one of the three movies you refer to here, but I see your point. As great as Gravity was Halle Berry could have made a pretty good Ryan Stone. Maybe I'd better keep her in mind if I ever manage to put together a great script for an astronaut movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your pick and that was a great choice! I wonder how it would play out if Captain Nemo was a woman. I hope that they don't do something similar to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (waste of good characters). Captain Nemo as a woman would be an iconic character if played right.

      Delete
  2. Love your first two choices. Saldana is a wonderful actress as seen in her smaller, indie flicks. So I definitely think she could tackle most any role out there. Rivera is very good on Glee, plus I think she's drop-dead gorgeous so that helps...me, at least. On that note, I'm not too keen on Halle Berry doing Gravity. I just don't think she's a very good actress. Occasionally, she's strong, but usually not. I'm still not sure how what she did in Monster's Ball won her an Oscar. She's also all sorts of gorgeous, so I love "looking at" her, but don't always enjoy watching her. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saldana doesn't get much known outside of action franchises, but this would be an interesting role for her. Same goes for Rivera, I think she can pull the character off. I think Alfonso Cuaron is a good director, and there's a possibility that he might bring a great performance out of Berry. Maybe it might be the career reinvention Halle Berry needs.

      Delete
  3. Great picks :) I especially like the choice of Halle Berry for Bullock in Gravity - it makes me genuinely wonder how the film would've been different and, possibly, even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see how Halle Berry tackle the role. I think she has the capability to do it, though her recent work is a bit iffy.

      Delete

Post a Comment