Saturday, April 4

A Fistful of Moments

Andrew of A Fistful of Films is hosting a blogathon. Inspired by his own cinematic moments post, he asks us what are our favorite cinematic moments. So, what exactly is a ‘cinematic moment’? In his words: 
We all have them in the back of our minds; those moments that make us think "man, this is what the movies are all about". We relive those moments in our mind's eye, remembering them and dissecting them and adoring them. They come in all shapes and sizes, from all types of films, and yet they all share one very important aspect; they define why we love the movies. It could be the way that the moment is cut; the way it's edited together. It could be the way the moment uses it's actors to evoke a powerful emotion from us. It could be the way that music floods the scene and draws us even closer to the moment in question. It could be a grand climax, a breathtaking introduction or a simple interchange. It could be any and all things, because for every film lover, the list is different.
Here are the rules for the blogathon:
1) Pick a number between 1 and 100 (any more than 100 is just gaudy)
2) Choose that many cinematic moments that are either your all time favorites or ones that could, on any given day, be your all time favorites
3) Post them on your blog (or Tumblr or whatever) with the above header (or one you create for yourself)
4) Send me the link by either posting it here in the comments or getting ahold of me on Twitter ( @fististhoughts )
Here are some of my favorite cinematic moments. There are more, and by no means are these all my ultimate favorites (still a lot more movies to watch). Also, I think I may have forgotten a lot, as most of these are in the top of my mind. These moments are in no particular order. 

Baptism scene/mob members killing other people - The Godfather
I loved the juxtaposition of the scene - Pacino’s character being a godfather in more ways than one. It was the whole idea coming together and being executed flawlessly that made this a complete standout. 

Desi’s Murder - Gone Girl
The music, the execution, Amy’s reaction! So thrilling to watch and terrifying at the same time.

Battle at Helm’s Deep - Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
That moment when all is about to fall then help arrives, igniting hope from all those fighting for good - it was the best war scene I’ve seen in all Lord of the Rings movies. 

The whole of 12 Angry Men
I think movies like these are relevant because we witness justice being handed rightfully. It’s a belief that society needs these days. Plus how one man could effectively and rationally move the decision through logic and demonstration - it was enough to have me glued to the screen. 

The club shooting scene - John Wick
The rhythm of the music that was in sync to the action and the movements of the characters? Fantastic. I liked how the whole scene played out.

The ending - The Mist and Buried
So heartbreaking, frustrating and quite unforgettable. 

The mother and daughter impromptu dance - Fish Tank
It says so much about their relationship and regrets more than two words spoken by the family. 

Conor packs up the baby’s things - The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him
I haven’t seen Them so I don’t know if this scene is there but this scene spoke so much about his character and how he initially handed his child’s death. 

Suicide of Brooks - The Shawshank Redemption
I feel like I’m picking so many sad scenes, but I really liked how this was narrated and how the scenes and the words invoked so much sadness that his only way to be actually be free and happy is through death. Those scenes spoke of a man whose spirit was already broken behind bars. 

Neil McCauley at a crossroad between Vincent Hanna and Eady - Heat
This was the test of his principle, and the lingering seconds before he made his decision says much of his character and his principles. 

Father and son travel back in time to a favorite moment - About Time
This exact moment exemplifies the notion to value the time we have with our loved ones. It’s a wonderful memory to signify the purpose and value of the power Tim has. 

Harry Potter procures his Patronus - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The determination and the effect of his words, it was a milestone for Harry, not to mention how the scene played out once his Patronus saved his other self and Sirius Black. 

The descend of Ryan Stone back to Earth - Gravity
I just re-watched Gravity a couple of days ago and the second viewing was as intense as the first. This is a pivotal moment in Stone’s life as her newfound hope could not abandon her in her moment of need.

Chris Wilton kills Nola Rice, stages her death as an accident due to robbery
I wasn't expecting the movie to turn that way. People would really go to any extent to cover up their infidelity, especially when it hinders their societal progression. 

20 comments:

  1. I've been hearing a lot about this blogathon. It seems to have been quite a hit and I haven't been able to take part due to school keeping me busy. Now if I could just decide what my Cinematic Moments are I might be able to get up an entry before Monday but there's no guarantees of anything. Looks like you have a pretty interesting selection of choices, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Looking forward for your cinematic choices as well.

      Delete
  2. About Time! Now, THAT'S a moment! UGH...so happy you included that one! I also love that you're the second (maybe third) person now who has mentioned that scene in Fish Tank. It's such a subtle scene and yet it speaks so loudly. Thank you so much for playing along with the blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's so many great moments here! Nice picks. I love that you threw in Desi's murder. That scene was brilliant and I loved Amy's little hair flip at the end of it. That was so her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolute great call on Heat. That is such a perfect moment in the film. Glad to see recent entries here like Gone Girl and John Wick. I think half the people in the theater I saw it in shit a brick when that moment happened in Gone Girl. Just saw John Wick a few days and that was a lot of fun. Actually, I love all of your picks of the movies I've seen (most of them). Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your choices! Those scenes from the Godfather and Gone Girl are unforgettable. And the battle at Helms Deep! Perfect. 12 Angry Men is a wonderful choice, and I am so glad to see Fish Tank here. That movie seems to be grievously underwatched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome choices! I gasped when seeing that descent of knights during battle of Helm's Deep when I saw it at the cinema

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picks! I picked the baptism sequence in Godfather too.

    That is is an incredible moment of Heat.

    LOVE the fact that you decided to pick the whole of 12 Angry Men.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting - have seen Eleanor Rigby a lot on my Netflix but can't quite make out what it's about - a movie in several parts? Not sure if there's an order you need to watch them in, or if it gets repetitive and you should just choose one. Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a cut that combines both Him and Her - Them. In my opinion, it's better to watch the separate parts (start with Him, followed by Her). In comparison to both, Them becomes an underwhelming film to watch.

      Delete
  9. My comments always seem to get eaten up. I wrote a whole thing about my confusion about Eleanor Rigby but don't have the spirit to rewrite. But nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant list! I love your Harry Potter moment, that should have been on my list too :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant list, I also love The Mist's ending and About Time's father-son aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fantastic list. Neil McCauley's crossroads. the dance in Fish Tank, "the whole of 12 Angry Men"... couldn't agree more. That is all TRUE cinema right there.

    ReplyDelete