Friday, May 1

04/15: My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever.

Hi there! How did April treat you? I don't know about you, but it's quite hot over here - not warm, hot. I've already geared up on sunblock as my skin gets freckles when burned. I'm also taking the reading challenge over at Goodreads and I'm already halfway through my reading mark. Granted a few of those are graphic novels, but I've already found a few favorites from the selection. The new Avengers movie gets released today in the US, but it was released earlier in other countries - one of the few times we get to watch a movie earlier than the US. It was good, but on a general note I prefer the first movie. Speaking of movies, I've only seen two releases this year, and it's almost half the year! I think it's mostly due to disinterest in new releases; is 2015 off to a rocky start? Some of the movies that premiered in the festival circuit sound promising, though we'd have to wait longer for them to get a wide release. Anyway, onto this month's recap!


300: Rise of an Empire | A Farewell to Arms | Adult Beginners | All About Steve | American Gigolo | Avengers: Age of Ultron | Dark Horse | Darkman | Leon: The Professional | Moscow, Belgium | Muriel or The Time of Return | Pretty Woman | Pure | The DUFF | The NeverEnding Story | The Skeleton Twins | What's a Human Anyway | When Marnie Was There


300: Rise of an Empire - The awesomeness of the first movie clearly did not transcend to the prequel/sequel. 

A Farewell to Arms (1932) - I liked the chemistry between the couple. I felt bad that things didn't turn out so lovely for them.

Adult Beginners - It tries to be one of those touching light drama movies where the man transforms himself, but the flow of the movie doesn't show precise moments of the transformation. The movie also tries to have those sibling moments, but Rose Byrne and Nick Kroll seem to be moving in different circles. 

All About Steve - I like the whole 'be yourself' message of the movie, but it really didn't have to play Sandra Bullock as a crazy stalker. 

American Gigolo - Review coming soon.

Dark Horse - I liked the premise of it, but the whole movie falls apart halfway through when they decided to add a character to focus on that's not really of relevance to the lives of the first two characters. It was way too long for its kind of movie; brevity would have been its best friend.

Darkman - This was silly, weird and surprisingly entertaining. 

Moscow, Belgium - In this romantic comedy, it's the guy who acts all stalker-ish and crazy and there are no grand gestures and sometimes you want to hit the lead character in the head for being in a relationship like this but it was an enjoyable flick.

Muriel or The Time of Return - I think I would have appreciated this if I was familiar with the director's style. Also, if I understood what was happening half the time. 

Pretty Woman - Review coming soon.

Pure - Review coming soon.

The DUFF - It was very different from the book, but it was still enjoyable. 

The NeverEnding Story - It was magical, though I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I watched it when I was a child.

The Skeleton Twins - Review coming soon.

What's a Human Anyway - This was way too long and despite its easy going atmosphere, it was starting to become a chore to finish the movie. 

When Marnie Was There - There was a bit of predictability in the story and the characters start to become annoying at some point, but it's a good story and a good animated movie about knowing one's past and overcoming your personal battles. 




Andy divides the Fast and the Furious movies to make it easier for viewers to follow the movies.

Wendell writes a great piece about Batman's role in The Dark Knight.

4 comments:

  1. Your line about the 300 sequel is perfect.

    Darkman is just pure, goofy fun.

    Magical is a great way to describe The NeverEnding Story.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's flipping HOT here too!

    Thanks for the link. Looks like you saw quite a bit this month. I recently (I saw recently, but it was more like 3 years ago) rewatched The Neverending Story for the first time since my childhood, and I loved it in a very different way...it has so much richer and deeper meaning when you look at it though adult eyes. It's like watching a different movie altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Adult Beginners and The Skeleton Twins last month too, and they were essentially the same movie to me, minus a few varying plot points. Adult Beginners didn't really click for me either, though I do love Rose Byrne. Thanks so much for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the link! can't wait to read your review of Skeleton Twins!

    ReplyDelete