Skip to main content

09/15: I'll continue to climb, trying to reach the top, but no one knows where the top is.

Can you believe September is over? This month flew by so fast that I'm having trouble remembering what happened during most of the month. My 2015 movie count is finally going up; I really skipped out on a lot of movies the past few months and only getting to catch up now. Fall season has started, which means a lot of new shows to tune into, and some few old ones to follow. Some of the shows that have been on my watch list are already starting new seasons and I still haven't caught up with the previous ones. Outside of blogging, I've been catching up on my reading and rearranging my shelves, digging out a few books that I would like to read before the end of the year. How was your month? 


Addicted to Fresno | Annie | Clouds of Sils Maria | Cooties | Digging for Fire | Don't Go Breaking My Heart | It Felt Like Love | Jiro Dreams of Sushi | Love and Basketball | Love Forecast | Man Up | Me and Earl and the Dying Girl | Minions | Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List | Paper Towns | Spooks: The Greater Good | The Double | The Overnight | The Snow White Murder Case | Tomorrowland | Y Tu Mama Tambien

Addicted to Fresno - I wanted to like this one. It tried to be interesting, but it didn't capture my attention most of the time.

Annie (1982) - Cynics should not watch Annie. She was too happy for my taste. 

Cooties - This was fun. It wasn't a breakthrough on the horror/comedy genre, but if you're looking for a fun movie to watch, this is it.

Digging for Fire - Joe Swanberg movies are a hit or miss for me. This one was all right. I liked the cast line-up, though we don't get to see much of the other characters. I was kind of excited for the Orlando Bloom appearance, primarily because he rarely does independent cinema work - or good independent cinema work.

Don't Go Breaking My Heart - It was kind of generic, and the love triangle angle was really played to the core. It was all right, not really a typical Hong Kong romantic comedy, at least from the ones I've seen.

It Felt Like Love - I was so frustrated with Lila, and at the same time I feel pity for her. She has an inkling of how people, particularly her best friend, is about love and all its attachments - and while I understand it's hard not to be compared to her, she's doing these disastrous things that her psyche is somehow aware off and she still goes through with it. Haven't she learned nothing from her observations? 

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - I was researching on how to get a reservation in the restaurant (3 month wait, no online reservations so best bet is if you know how to speak in Japanese, or your hotel can reserve for you), and watching the documentary just made me want to eat there even more. It's sushi and yet everything looks so delicious. Salivating comments aside, this was a well-shot documentary, and talks a lot about Jiro and his business.

Love and Basketball - The bit on the end (when they were talking about the reason they broke up) aside, this was an enjoyable movie. I couldn't help but root for Monica to succeed. Quincy could have used a bit more character development.

Love Forecast - It's a generic romantic comedy, only watched it because of the leading actor (I'm familiar with some of his work).

Man Up - Lake Bell's faulty accent aside, I liked her chemistry with Simon Pegg. It wasn't cutesy, it did lack some spark to keep things moving, but the movie as a whole was all right.

Minions - This gave me a headache. I applaud those who continuously have to watch this with their children. That minion fad has to die down.

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List - The kiss list topic is very forced in this movie. Both characters were stubborn and annoying.

Paper Towns - This shouldn't have been converted to a movie. While Cara Delevigne fits the character, the moment she starts talking I feel a disconnect with the character. This was really dull, I couldn't wait for it to end.

Spooks: The Greater Good - While I've heard of the show, I haven't seen a single episode, so if there were some references linking the movie to the show, I wouldn't have understood it. Regardless, this was a pretty good standalone flick. It's not as glamorous as other action/thrillers this year, but it held my attention. This is also a better Kit Harrington movie, he can venture to action movies if he wanted to.

The Double - It would have better if we didn't know who Cassius was. It was very obvious that Topher Grace was playing second fiddle to a plot where his character should be the one focused on.

The Overnight - This was dull and unfunny. It certainly was awkward.

The Snow White Murder Case - How did the reporter stay in his job that long if he doesn't even know the ethics of journalism? How did he even get his job? The movie wasn't really about the case itself, but rather the implications of false information and presumptions. 


Drew wraps ups his 4 Ways a Best Picture.

Sati celebrates the man that is Tom Hardy.

Wendell lists down his most-watched movies.

Getter writes about Mr. Robot.

Alex shares his top 11-20 films of all time

Comments

  1. I only saw 8 movies, 9 if you count my rewatch and it's all because I started to read a lot more this year. So I think I finally have a balance... of some sorts. I've yet to watch Digging for Fire and I hope to love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading pace has slowed down at the latter half of the year, already have a few books in between readings. The cast line up for Digging for Fire is amazing!

      Delete
  2. lol at what you said about Minions. The sad part is that is one of the less annoying films my child has made me sit through. The Cars movies are the. fucking. worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with that, especially the sequel. My nephew was also addicted to them (particularly the merchandise) but has since shifted to Spider-Man.

      Delete
  3. LOL, poor, poor happy Annie!

    Thanks for the link :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to keep reminding myself that she didn't have other motives besides just being a happy person! I should have watched this when I was younger.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the link! Good to know Kit is not in another terrible film :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was actually decent in that one, unlike in Pompeii.

      Delete
  5. You watched a lot of movies this month! I think I loved Annie as a child, but I wouldn't want to watch it again as an adult. Definitely not for the cynical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a movie for adults. I found myself drifting away from the story, and it was really hard to just believe Annie can be just happy with no motives.

      Delete
  6. Maybe they should remake an Annie for cynics?

    Or maybe they already did, and it's called Annie Hall.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment