Room

Brie Larson isn’t an unknown name; she has been getting some buzz for her previous roles, but it is here in Room that her name is finally circulating awards buzz and is getting rewarded for it. I’m a bit of a sucker for emerging artists so I had to check out the film she’s getting the buzz for. Room is based from the novel of Emma Donoghue, about a boy named Jack and his Ma who lived in the Room for 5 years. One day, his ma had enough and devised a plan to get her and Jack out of the clutches of Old Nick, their captor. Leaving captivity behind, both Jack and Ma had to readjust back to society.

I haven’t read the book it was based on hence I cannot comment on its accuracy with the source. The film however, was very good. The first half of the film revolved around the relationship between Jack and Ma, both the happy times and the tensions of living their life the way they were. The latter half focused on their adjustment outside of Room, with the two of them going through different motions of adjusting in their new surroundings. 

I liked that the characters were flawed. Ma was never portrayed as an always patient and kind character, but the touches of her frustration and somewhat annoyance with her son suggests an embodiment of a real person. She would always be protecting Jack, but sometimes his curiousness would get to her. Her future actions were premeditated by her condition of captivity, and her struggles to rejoin society were very evident in the latter half. Larson portrayed her perfectly – she was mean enough to suggest frustration and anger, and yet kind and caring and accommodating to her son. Her rapport with Tremblay seemed natural, with Tremblay doing considerable amount of work alongside Larson. 

Jacob Tremblay was a big part in making Room a success. He is simply amazing as Jack – he is curious, he is amazed, he is scared. The role demands great emotions from him and he delivers. The whole premise of the film wouldn’t be very believable if it wasn’t for the performance of the young actor. He got into his character’s shoes, the good and the bad parts of it. Give this kid all the awards, seriously. 

There were some parts of the narrative that were left unanswered but it doesn’t derail from the film. Lenny Abrahamson knew where to make scenes intense. I liked how some scenes showed things in Jack’s new perspective – the feeling of loss and confusion and unusual evident in those takes. I liked how things have ended; it was what both characters needed in their lives in order to get past the incident. 




Cast: Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay, Sean Bridgers
Director: Lenny Abrahamson
Year: 2015

6 comments:

  1. Really great to read what you thought of the film. I hadn't read the book either, but thought the film was excellent. I also loved that the characters were flawed, it gave them an extra layer of depth and they felt completely real and believable to me - which made the film even more intense! I thought Joy's mother and Leo were fantastic, too.

    Maria | Moore of this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storytelling was fantastic, and the characters did feel real and believable. There's things to be said that are in a 'read-between-the-lines' kind of setting (especially for Jack), and it adds a lot more depth to the film.

      Delete
  2. I keep hearing so much praise for Tremblay. I can't wait to see this. What a great year for young actors (Attah as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to see the film Attah is in, but his name has been garnering some buzz.

      Delete
  3. I've read the book and let me just say: This is an EXCELLENT adaptation. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire escape sequence even though I knew what was going to happen. And the entire cast was fantastic (even though I'm not quite as high on Jacob Tremblay as everyone else).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to read the book this year, but this is an amazing film.

      Delete