Skip to main content

Win Win

Cast: Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan, Bobby Cannavale
Director: Tom McCarthy

An unexpected gem (for me, at least), Win Win is a comedy drama that manages to captivate the audience as the film goes by. The plot isn't as different as those similar to it (sports, angst-ridden teen who's actually really good at something, financial problems, etc) but what brought this film to stand on its own is the acting that was involved in making the film. Win Win is about a lawyer who also works as a wrestling coach to make ends meet; he is in a financial bind. His practice is not doing so good and he's getting stressed because of it, not to mention his family doesn't know about their financial standing. He saw his way out of a financial turmoil when he signed himself up as the legal guardian of his incapacitated client, earning him $1500 a month. What he didn't expect is that the missing family members would show up at his client's doorstep, first in the form of the client's grandson (who turns out to be his savior on the wrestling team).

Giamatti shows off his acting chops through embodying different personas (lawyer, provider, mentor) without getting one persona mixed with the other. In each situation, he knows how to position himself and does not let the rationality of his other roles get into him. His mistake makes him human. In each role he portrays, he is able to embody them with zest, making him easily identifiable in a scene. He is also aided by Ryan and Cannavale, who portray their roles quite well. Shafter, in his first role, also embodies the angst-ridden teen well. He doesn't blend in with Giamatti's style, nor does he let his fellow actors swallow him. He is not a wallflower, he stands out. He is able to express the writing and provide his own mark on the character. While the movie may not exactly hit a mark, expressive acting and writing did bring this film into the radar of sport comedy-drama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Movie Alphabet Volume 2

In celebration of the 7th birthday of her blog, Mettel Ray has hosted the second round of her movie alphabet blogathon! Head over to her site and join in the fun! I participated in her first blogathon, and had a blast writing this so I was definitely in the second time around. When I first made this list, I was just thinking off the top of my head and placed a few things in there for the sake of crossing off some letters. I did end up thinking a lot for this list, and I went with things that are currently relevant to me. I also tweaked the rules a little bit, only because I don't want to let go of some of my picks. I think this list is a much clearer reflection on where I am in terms of my preferences compared to my previous years.

Thursday Movie Picks: The Renaissance (14th to 17th Century)

Thursday Movie Picks is hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week’s theme is renaissance movies. I rarely watch period pieces so I had researched if I was getting the time lines right. Here are my picks for the week.

No, You're Crying! Blogathon

Debbie over at Moon in Gemini is hosting the No, YOU'RE Crying! Blogathon. The rules are simple - talk about our favorite tearjerker films! Head over to her site for a list of participants and their subsequent entries. I had a bunch of movies that made it to my short list, but ultimately decided on the movie that I keep coming back to. That is Disney's The Fox and the Hound - and it does not fail to make me cry. Note: spoilers for the movie below.