Lars and the Real Girl

Cast: Ryan Gosling, Emily Mortimer, Paul Schneider
Director: Craig Gillespie

Of the three Ryan Gosling films I’ve watched this is my favorite, and the only one I liked so far. I’m sure he has more notable ones but those are films I have yet to see. For the two times I’ve seen this, I haven’t lost the admiration I have for it; it still stands as one of my favorite films, and something I would rave to others to watch. It’s simple and heart-warming (for a lack of a better term) and it never fails to get me whenever I think about it.

Here’s a brief background: Lars (Gosling) is a socially-inept man who’d rather live in seclusion. Although he technically lives with his brother (he stays in the garage while his brother occupies the house), he doesn’t have company over, nor does he accept invitations to be with company. He usually rebuffs his sister-in-law’s invites, and when he does accept, is always eager to leave. He works, but his communication is only until the depths of his cubicle he shares with a co-worker. Another co-worker, Margo, shows interest in Lars, but he’s quick to shun her away. However, all their lives change when Lars brings in a guest, Bianca, a ‘real doll’. Seeing that Lars may be suffering some mental delusion, they bring him to a doctor, who advises them to take Bianca into their world as she was who Lars says she was.

The film presents a surreal circumstance, and yet, throughout the film, it can’t be helped but to feel and be one with everyone else who cares for Lars. At the same time, the film takes the audience deeper on who Lars really is, and why he is who he is. It’s one of his best performances yet (and how this film flew under everyone’s radar, I wouldn’t know). It’s a must see, really. The flow of the film is solid, and although there are questions floating here and there, it doesn’t take the viewers away from the essence of the film. It’s a gem of a film and even if I’ve seen more of Gosling’s film, this would truly stay on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment