Thursday Movie Picks: Black and White Movies Made Since 1970

Thursday, meet the Thursday Movie Picks meme, hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves! It's quite simple: pick three movies that corresponds to the week's theme and share your thoughts about it! It's never too late to join, so go over to her blog and get started! This week's theme is all about black and white movies, but they have to be made since 1970. My track record with black and white movies is bad enough, so this one was a challenging theme for me. I've only seen a handful of b&w movies since 1970, so here are my picks this week:

Tim Burton went back to his roots when he filmed this animated film, based on a short of the same name. Frankenweenie is a wonderful film depicting the topic of loss through Victor and his dog. Devastated by the loss, he had an idea to bring him back to life, which led to catastrophic results when others found out about what he did and decided to revive their own pets as well. It's not Tim Burton at the top of his game, but certainly a lot better than the recent works he's been churning out as of late. It's worth it to watch, especially if you're a pet owner. 

Nebraska makes the list because it made me feel nostalgic. Bruce Dern's performance sort of reminded me of my grandfather, particularly his stubbornness and his determination to do something. In this case, Woody Grant wanted to claim his prize all the way to Nebraska, with David reluctantly accompanying him to give in to his wants. What transpires is a movie that brings father and son together, with a bit more understanding about their selves and their family. 

Schindler's List is quite a powerful film. I went on a tour of a concentration camp last summer, and it was very much an eye opener. I know we study about these things, but it's quite different when you get an in depth look as well as further information from knowledgeable people who really studied the material - there was a lot of material during that tour. Schindler's List was about a man, Oskar Schindler, who used all the means he had to save Jews from being killed. The film showed scenes from the camps, and even had that one scene inside the gas chamber. Whenever people were being rounded up and carted off , those scenes were pretty terrifying, especially the one with the children. I remembered the film when I went to the camp (the film's set was very accurate) and the whole experience was overwhelming, much like the film. 

21 comments:

  1. I've not seen any of this. Like you I have not seen much black and white film made after the 1970s. So I'm picking up a lot of recommendations today.

    Wandering through the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see some of the movies soon! I'm also adding some to my watch list from others' lists!

      Delete
  2. Great picks! I have Schindler's List on mine as well. I also went on a tour of a concentration camp in high school when I did an exchange program in Germany, I've never felt so depressed in my life. This movie does look very accurate, and I'll never forget that feeling I had when I was there.

    I never did see Frankenweenie, I was afraid I'd cry over the dead dog. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my only consolation about watching Frankenweenie at the time was that I didn't have a dog, but if I did I would probably never have let my dog go!

      Delete
  3. We just rewatched Nebraska this week in honour of this theme I suppose (although who needs an excuse!). So, so good. Just so good. There's an unbearable sweetness that surprised the heck out of me when I saw it in theatres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nebraska did make me feel nostalgic, it was a good film.

      Delete
  4. I've only seen Schindler's List. I really want to see Frankenweenie! I never really desired to see Nebraska, despite some I know really loving it...it just...looks so dull to me, and I hated (and I mean HATED) The Descendants, so I'm kind of over Payne at the moment...but maybe I'll give it a go sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what it's worth, I too, DESPISED The Descendants, and thought Nebraska was quite enjoyable. Maybe not a return to peak form for Payne, but definitely a (significant) step up.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen much of Payne's work, but I did like The Descendants, though that fact doesn't help with this discussion. Nebraska was good, it was a bit dull at the start, but it gets better as the plot picks up.

      Delete
  5. I picked Frankenweenie, too! Such a sweet movie.

    I watched Schindler's List when I was a lot younger, but I remember not caring for it very much. Your experience at the concentration camp sounds nice(for lack of better words). I don't think I could step foot in one. I'd like to go to The Museum of Tolerance in LA though.

    I really need to see Nebraska. It's been long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schindler's List is an amazing film, but I don't think I could watch it again and relive watching all of those events transpire onscreen. I generally don't watch Holocaust movies because I feel so depressed afterwards.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear I haven't seen any of these but Nebraska is high up on my queue so soon. Schindler's is one of the few best picture winners that I've yet to see, I just know it's so grim I've been putting it off. Frankenweenie never appealed to me, I'm just not an animation fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schindler's List is quite depressing and overwhelming to watch, but it was a wonderfully made film.

      Delete
  7. I've seen all three of these and love them all. So glad to see Frankenweenie get some love. I feel it's very underrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankenweenie is not one of Burton's acclaimed work, but among his recent plethora of movies, this was quite great work.

      Delete
  8. Nebraska has to go on this list. It's so great! And Schindler's List is beautifully shot. Love the black-and-white in that one. Frankenweenie I've never seen. I really need to brush up on my animated movies. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks! I love Nebraska and Schindler's List.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice picks! Schindler's List is one my blindspot challenge for this year. I'm waiting for the right time to tackle such a heavy topic. :)

    ReplyDelete