Thursday Movie Picks: Live Action Fairy Tale Adaptations

Once upon every Thursday...Wandering Through the Shelves is hosting Thursday Movie Picks

*cricket noise*

That was an awful intro, but this is one of my favorite themes of this year, so forgive my attempt at trying. Before anything else, if you haven't joined in the fun, go head over to her blog! This week's theme is all about the live adaptation of fairy tale movies! There's a lot to choose from, though my choices would be quite known. Last year I joined a fairy tale blogathon and wrote about Penelope (Christina Ricci and James McAvoy), so I won't be including that in my list. Here's what I picked this week:

Snow White and the Huntsman played with Snow White's story, incorporating the details into a war story in which Snow White, with the help of the Huntsman, were trying to reach their allies and run away as far from the queen. Charlize Theron had a wicked turn as the queen, Chris Hemsworth was a reliable huntsman, and Kristen Stewart pulled an all right performance. It's not any of their best work, but I liked how the writing molded the story to show a different Snow White. 

Lea Seydoux and Vincent Cassel's version of Beauty and the Beast isn't the best version out there, but I really liked the production and costume design that was put into the movie.

I haven't seen the movie for quite some time, but Ever After is by far my favorite version of Cinderella. There was more substance to the character, and there was an actual development of the relationship instead of just meeting at the ball and falling in love. Drew Barrymore suited the role, and the whole movie was just lovely all throughout. 

18 comments:

  1. Oh, you got that Beauty and the Beast, too! And Ever After, too. All of them got the fanciest look although I personally dont really like fairy tale movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices! I really enjoyed Snow White and the Huntsman, I need to watch that again soon :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty and the Beast recent adaptation really looks spectacular, but the reviews are so average I'm not sure I'll ever see it. I liked SWATH too, Theron was very good and made the movie worth seeing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1946 version of Beauty was more romantic in a sense, but the adaptation looked wonderful (except with some of the CGI work).

      Delete
  4. Ever After almost made my list too. I never knew Lea Seydoux and Vincent Cassel did Beauty in the Beast, now I must see this. lol Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Ever After! One of my favorite Drew Barrymore performances. And Anjelica Huston is so great as her stepmother. Great cast all around, actually.

    Charlize is basically the saving grace of this version of Snow White. Were it not for that delicious performance, it would just be an empty bauble.

    I am chomping at the bit to see this version of Beauty & the Beast - love Lea Seudoux and Vincent Cassel, and Christophe Gans has a great visual sensibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theron was one of the highlights of Snow White, she was fantastic as queen!

      Delete
  6. Glad to see some love for Snow White and the Huntsman. I like it more than most and thought Charlize Theron was fantastic. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my watch list grows and grows each week, I have to add this version of Beauty and the Beast as all I've ever seen is the Disney version.
    I didn't really care for Ever After, it's probably ranked close to the top of the movies I disliked that Drew Barrymore starred in.
    I enjoyed Snow White and the Huntsman and even included it on my list this week, pretty interesting twist to the fairytale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other versions of Beauty and the Beast, the 1940's version is a great one too.

      Delete
  8. Great picks! I haven't actually seen any of these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only seen Snow White and The Huntsman from the list and I was very keen on it. It looked superb, however.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices! I can't wait to see Seydoux's Beauty...it looks so lavish and just dreamy!

    ReplyDelete