What I've Read so Far (2Q)

With multiple waves of reading slumps, I’m surprised I’m able to have this list at all. I’m glad about my reading progress, but compared to last quarter’s, the selections aren’t that memorable. I’ve mostly stuck to graphic novels during those reading slumps but I am hoping to make a transition to longer books because I’ve acquired new titles and I have to be on the mood to read those. Like the last entry, I’ve chosen three books per month (making a total of nine per quarterly list), and I’ve linked them to their respective Goodreads page and provided my rating for them as well. Here are some books I read during the months of April to June.


Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

I’ve had this book in my shelf for the longest time and I only got to pick it up when the trailer of the movie came out (and began playing on a loop in my local bookstore). The ending was spoiled for me, but I still enjoyed reading this one. Louisa was a likable character; she and Nathan were my favorites. Not to say that I didn’t like Will but I had a bit of a problem with his character. This was a quick read, and I think the movie will do justice to the book*. (4 stars)

*as of writing and publishing, I have not seen the movie, nor read reviews pertaining to it. 


This book initially intrigued me because it had a English Pen Award stamp on it (and was contemplating buying either this or Shelter) – and maybe I should have gone with Shelter. The whole book is told in the perspective of the murderer and was billed as a complex psychological thriller. I did like the perspective used on this; usually crime novels will be told in the view of the cop or the detective or any other person involved. This was also written eloquently, and its length is suitable for a day long kind of read. Except that it had put me to sleep. Twice. (2.5 stars)

Archie Volume 1 by Brian Vaughan, Fiona Staples, Veronica Fish, Annie Wu

The Archie comics have been a good part of my childhood, so when I saw a graphic novel illustrated by Fiona Staples (though she doesn’t stay on to illustrate), I was in. I like the story, and the graphics. It puts a twist on the love triangle, and puts a bit of personality on the characters. I cannot wait to read the next volume! (3.5 stars)



The Haters by Jesse Andrews

I am a sucker for road trip novels. This reads a bit like John Green’s Paper Towns, except that the teenagers are in a band and they’re on a trip to play their music. While Paper Towns isn’t Green’s best novel, if you enjoyed it tremendously like I did, then you might like this one. (4 stars)

Sex Criminals, Volume 1 by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky

This graphic novel certainly lives up to its name. It had an interesting premise but the series is not for me; I’m not a fan of one of the characters. (2 stars)

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan

I was expecting a new Magnus Chase book (another series of his he started last year) but was met with a new addition to the Olympus series. I adore Rick Riordan’s books, and this was a great addition to the series. It’s a quick read and is filled with both old and new characters, though this wasn’t as action driven as the others. (4 stars)




This graphic memoir is amazing. It doesn’t follow a story, but the illustrations are vibrant. I really liked the maps he drew of the neighborhoods. If you have been to Tokyo, some of these places are very recognizable. He doesn’t go the tourist route for his illustrations, which is great because you get a wider scope of the city. (3.5 stars)

Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi

Reading Mr. Fox is an experience in itself. I wasn't sure at first with what I was reading - the blurb does provide the premise of the book, but it's not written in a way that I am accustomed to. It's neither character nor plot driven, but I love the writing style. I'm excited to check out more of her work, and if her works are as elaborate as this, at least I am prepared when it comes to handling the narrative. This is getting a lower grade than its supposed to because it took me a long time to finish it. (3.5 stars)

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

I am happy that I ended up picking up this book as a breather. It's packed with adventure and the narrative makes it hard to put the book down. It's fast-paced and the world building is amazing. This is currently being adapted into a movie and I'm hoping that the adaptation is as amazing as the source novel. (5 stars)

2 comments:

  1. The only one I've read is Me Before You, I wasn't crazy about it, but I didn't hate it either. I've had Ready Player One on my list since Mettel Ray talked about it a while ago. I hope to read that soon.

    ReplyDelete