2019 in Books

2019 was the year I took my reading in a different direction. I cataloged all my physical unread books into my goodreads page, with the goal of reducing that number by 5 percent - which I failed, since I acquired more books. I also took the chance to cull my book collection, and have tried to be extra picking to what books I acquire as to not consume more space. Even my Goodreads reading goal was a small number - I didn't find much pleasure in reading last year, and I was certain it was going to carry over in the following year. Still, it was a good reading year, even if I had to consider other sources for new books I would want to read but not rely on having a physical coy of the book. Like last year, I went ahead and categorized my choices, with my favorite books at the end of the list.

Entertaining Books of The Year (easy reading, however you would interpret it)
The Bride Test by Helen Hoang (romance)
Hope Never Dies by Andrew Shaffer (humour, fiction)
The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman (romance)
Malamander by Thomas Taylor (middle grade fantasy)
The Last by Hanna Jameson (science fiction)
Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert (romance)
To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers (science fiction)
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson (YA mystery)
The Floating Feldmans by Eliza Friedland (fiction)
It Sounded Better in My Head by Nina Kenwood (YA fiction)

Great Series Entries (note: books part of a series but could be read as a standalone are not included)
A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (YA fantasy)
Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi (middle grade fantasy)
A Crystal of Time by Shoman Chainani (YA fantasy)

Graphic Novels & Manga: Notable and Favourites (note: volume added is the volume started in the year)
Chew, Volume 1 by John Layman
Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me by Mariko Tamaki
Love and Lies, Volume 1 by Musawo

Notable Books of 2019
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal (fiction)
The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters by Balli Kaur Jaswal
What My Mother and I Don't Talk About, edited by Michelle Filgate (essays)
The Conscious Closet by Elizabeth L. Cline (non-fiction)
Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay (YA fiction)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (YA fiction)
The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling by Wai Chim (YA fiction)
Clean by Juno Dawson (YA fiction)
If Cats Disappeared from the World by Genki Kawamura (translated fiction)
Dear Girls by Ali Wong (humor, memoir)

Favorite Books Read in 2019
Unmarriageable by Soniah Kamal (fiction)
Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh (mystery)
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (translated fiction)

2 comments:

  1. Sticking to a reading goal can be so tough, especially when I keep adding new books to my collection, and I'm now going to the library more. It seems like I'll never make progress. lol It looks like you did a great job here, and hope you reach your 2020 goals if you have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal this year is to work on my backlist titles - hopefully that puts a dent to my book collection. Good luck on your reading goals too!

      Delete