Favorite Performances of 2019

I don’t think I’ve ever written about my favorite performances before, this would be the first. My list isn’t ranked; it is just an assortment of performances that I found notable from all the films I watched. The greatest challenge for me right now is to be able to describe their performances without using the same words repeatedly. This should be fun. Here are my favorite performances of 2019. (Possible spoilers)

Lupita Nyong’o, Us 
Lupita Nyong’o gives life in Jordan Peele’s film as Red/Adelaide, performing two prominent but opposite personas at the same time. As Red, she was able to portray her fury and desire to defeat Adelaide and stay on top without giving a maniacal performance bordering insanity. Her performance as Adelaide was a bit muted compared to her portrayal of Red, but she gave such a convincing performance of determination to survive that when the twist was finally revealed, it was a complete shock. You wouldn’t really know her character had that hidden persona behind it. 

Billie Lourd, Booksmart 
Billie Lourd was such a delight as Gigi that she completely stole every scene she was in. Whilst she played a background character who randomly pops up at each event Amy and Molly went to, she still managed to make the character stand out and hit the delivery perfectly without upstaging the main characters nor the narrative. I wouldn’t mind watching an entire film with Gigi as a main character - or Billie Lourd in a more prominent role. 

Kathryn Bernardo, Hello Love Goodbye 
I have seen some of Bernardo’s work where her performances are either lacking or unmemorable. Her acting skills have vastly improved with her turn as Joy in Hello, Love, Goodbye, a Filipino film about the challenges of being an overseas worker under the guise of a romantic drama. She played her character with conviction and warmth. Her character was developed nicely; allowing her instances to feel loved, but the rationality of her responsibilities still wavering around her decisions. She gave a performance that justified the writing, allowing her to stand out from her co-star. 

Robert Downey Jr, Avengers Endgame 
This performance is the reason why Robert Downey Jr shouldn’t go back to the MCU universe in any way. He gave a fitting performance as a swan song to the character that any further appearance would undo the gravitas of his presence in the film. Robert Downey Jr was the perfect actor to play Iron Man; he gave a performance that balanced all the traits of Tony Stark without making the character seem a tad condescending nor be overpowered by other superheroes sharing the screen. He gave Iron Man depth, and made the character his own.

Angus Imrie, The Kid Who Would Be King
Angus Imrie played Merlin in a children’s adaptation of the Arthurian legend, and he played Merlin with this kind of kookiness that made his character, and therefore his portrayal fun to watch. It was because of this that he stood out amongst the other actors in the film. Despite the seriousness of his job as Arthur’s protector, he was helpful and informative without the character being a bore. It also might have helped that he was the comic relief in the film, and for that he did relieve tension in a way that didn’t distract from the overall atmosphere of the film.

Daniel Craig, Knives Out 
It is fun to see Daniel Craig play a character that isn’t in his usual wheelhouse. The man clearly has range, and is beyond the James Bond persona. He shows off his comedic chops in Knives Out, with the perfect line delivery, that airy, confused, determined persona that defined the character. Daniel Craig is Benoit Blanc. He led the ensemble cast quite nicely - didn’t make it about him, but didn’t disappear into the shadows. He never toed the line of absurdity nor was he playing a bumbling detective either. His character is definitely more than what meets the eye, and Craig played it to perfection.

Taron Egerton, Rocketman 
Taron Egerton gives a wonderful performance as Elton John that it was quite a disappointment that he was snubbed for most of awards season. The moment he sat down and introduced himself in the first scene - the mannerism, the movement - Egerton transformed to the legendary singer. He sang all of his songs, tried to sound like Elton John (which was amazing - I loved his rendition of songs) and gave possibly the best performance of his career to date.

14 comments:

  1. Argh I completely forgot about The Kid Who Would Be King! I really want to see that movie. I'm so with you on Daniel Craig. I've never been a fan but he was so much fun in Knives Out, and Logan Lucky too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Logan Lucky. I shall check that out too.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen all of these movies but I can't argue with the ones I have. Lupita Nyong'o gave the best performance of the year period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought her performance would be more applauded because she was so good. She should be in the conversation, at least.

      Delete
  3. Awesome picks! I wish Lupita, Taron, and Daniel gained more recognition this award show season. Billie was hysterical in Booksmart. I agree about RDJ - he shouldn't keep going back to play Tony in different iterations, it's diluting the meaning behind Endgame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RDJ closed his chapter perfectly, MCU should really leave it at that.

      Delete
  4. Yey for Daniel Craig! I so hope they will do that sequel. And Taron was really great, such a shame they snubbed him :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the wait for the sequel wouldn't be long, and that the next film is as good as the first.

      Delete
  5. I'm still miffed that Downey didn't get a consideration for Best Actor as I think the entire ensemble of Avengers: Endgame knocked it out of the park as I loved how Downey was able to conclude Tony Stark's arc and showed exactly why we love that character through good times and bad times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did give a fantastic performance; I thought it was his best one yet in terms of the Marvel movies.

      Delete
  6. Taron Egerton was def good, but boy that movie itself was MEH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taron Egerton made the film great. I don't think I could say the same if it was a different actor.

      Delete
  7. I agree with Courtney.. Rocketman as a whole movie for me didn't work but I mean, Taron's performance was amazing. Subtle, so on the nose and his voice just.. brilliant. It's a shame his performance was so overlooked by the award season..
    I agree with some of the other ones too but I don't know if any of them would make my list. I just saw completely different movies and the same for different reasons I guess. :D

    ReplyDelete