2019 in Films

2019 was an okay film year. I watched a good number of films, though I missed on many of the acclaimed films. Some films were disappointing, some of them I liked more than I anticipated. The last time I did a summary format like this was 2017, and I thought I’d keep it again for 2019. While I do have a ranked list up, my decisions about the following films in their respective category lean more towards preference and not necessarily the rating I initially gave them. Here is my 2019 film summary.

Number of Films Watched: 67
Number-wise, it isn’t bad. Quality-wise, I think I watched more mediocre movies this year compared to last. 16 films were directed by women, and x films were directed by people of color. x films were not in English.

Best Film of 2019: Ad Astra
I went with Ad Astra as my best film because I found myself coming back to this film, and its message on humanity and mortality. Ad Astra was a film I went in knowing nothing about. It starred Brad Pitt, he was an astronaut, and space was involved. I wasn’t sure what to expect from it, but I did marvel at the world building in the film. His character’s quest did make me think, and I left the cinema in awe.

Best Children’s Film: The Kid Who Would Be King
I chose ‘The Kid Who Would Be King’ as my best children’s film is because I wish I had something like this when I was a child. I do like Arthurian legend retelling, which makes this a bias decision, but it has everything I like in a children’s movie. It has action, and adventure, and friendship, and teamwork, and it doesn’t have a lot of dramatic strings attached.

Favorite Film: Rocketman
I really didn’t know much about Elton John, and the film gives us a highlight of his life prior to his life now. Taron Egerton was wonderful. I liked the mix of music and narrative, that the songs chosen were seamed flawlessly to the story. The production was amazing. Now I don’t know how Egerton can top this because I think he played a role of a lifetime.

Most Surprising Film: Dora and the Lost City of Gold
I was about to give this a pass but when I started reading reviews about how the movie is actually good, I got curious. It was delightful. It sort of kept the Dora mannerisms without it crossing some childish, annoying realm. It knew that the audience was older so there was some nostalgia factor, but it still didn’t abandon its origin of a children’s television show. It was an enjoyable movie for what it was.

Most Disappointing Film: The Farewell
I was disappointed by The Farewell because of the hype. It wasn’t a bad film. It was good - the cinematography was great, the tone matched the setting, even Awkwafina proved herself to have dramatic chops. Reading about how great it was and how everyone seemed to be clamoring over it raised my expectations of it and that height of expectation was not met. I wanted to fawn over it like everyone else, but it just didn't meet that expectation. This is really more of 'it's-not-the-film-it's-me' kind of situation.

Worst Film: Family History
I had a couple of films at the bottom of my list but this movie was in a whole other level. This movie was terrible. How was this approved for theatrical release? It does a disservice to a great dramatic actress by giving her a terrible story arc and writing that doesn’t match her talents. Some parts were sexist, misogynistic and insulting. I understand that the comedic actor is trying out a dramatic role, but there was just punchline after punchline that it just feels inappropriate at times. Poorly written, poorly edited, poorly acted.

Other Notable Works


Knives Out
Mystery, whodunnit films aren’t new, but they are few and far in between that were as good as Knives Out. It was well-acted, and cleverly done. Daniel Craig embodied his character well; I cannot wait to see what he does in the sequel.

Booksmart
Booksmart could easily be overhyped, but what it provides is a smart, fun take on a teen comedy about growing up and living life. 

Us
Lupita Nyong'o was snubbed. The film wasn't flawless but the intensity of the pacing, as well as Nyong'o's performance made Us a memorable film for me. 

Hello, Love, Goodbye
This is a film that speaks about the situations of overseas Filipino workers with the romance story as a way to breach the topic without making it overtly melodramatic. It was well-written, and the cinematography is beautiful. I liked that the romance didn't overshadow the challenges of working overseas, and it is the same circumstances that face the lead characters. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this format! I've been meaning to see Dora and the Lost City of Gold ever since I heard it wasn't actually bad. I haven't gotten round to The Farewell yet but I know what you mean about the hype. I feel the same way about Get Out. It was a really good movie but I don't love it half as much as the hype made me thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the formats I tried, I think this one works best for me - easy to compile, and everything in one post. I felt the same way about Get Out; it's a good film but killed by the hype. I wanted to like it (and The Farewell) more than I did.

      Delete
  2. So great to see Knives Out here! That movie was such a delightful surprise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I'm very much looking forward for the sequel.

      Delete