Thursday Movie Picks: Freshman Series 2019

Thursday Movie Picks is hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. It is a weekly series where a theme is provided per week and participants list movies or television shows corresponding to the theme. Every last Thursday of the month is dedicated to television shows, which this week is about freshman series. I recently decided to track the amount of television shows I watch. There’s a lot of content coming out year per year that it tends to be overwhelming, especially if you like a certain show and would want to be updated when the new season is coming out. Last year I did watch a couple of the new shows - I think. Here are my picks this week.

Dollface - The show revolves around female friendship, as the main character finds herself dumped by a long time boyfriend and has found that she had no support system because she alienated them in lieu of her relationship. This had her regaining their trust and figuring out what being a true friend is about beyond being in a romantic relationship. I do wish this has a second season because the cast is amazing.

The Unicorn - This has a single father navigating the waters of dating a year after his wife’s death. His friends label him a ‘unicorn’ because of him being a single father. I think this show is still finding its footing, but it is possible for it to swerve away from its premise as it’s becoming more about the group of friends and less of dating.

Shrill - Shrill is a body positive show that the world needs today. It is about a woman who wants to improve herself by fully living herself without sticking to the norm, especially about what a woman's body type should be. I found it relatable, and I cannot wait to watch season 2.

11 comments:

  1. I only get Hulu back when The Handmaid's Tale comes back on, but when I do I'm definitely checking out Shrill along with it. I haven't seen any of your picks this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Handmaid's Tale is a show that I want to watch but I find it too bleak. There was a graphic novel version of the book and I read that instead :))

      Delete
  2. Ooh I haven't even heard of these 3 shows! I need to make more time for TV. Shrill sounds like something I definitely need to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to know how to divide my time between all the shows I want to watch, instead of binge watching an entire show (season to season) for a long time.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of any of these before but Dollface sounds so good. I need to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollface was nice, and I'm happy it got a second season because the cast dynamic is great.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...I haven't heard of any of these shows, but they all sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Unicorn on my list too! I think it's a fun little show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any of these but may check out The Unicorn and wouldn't mind Shrill but I don't get any specialty channels

    ReplyDelete