Thursday Movie Picks: TV Romance

Rounding up the month of romance is this week’s theme of romance in tv shows. There are many to choose from but I’m going with these three because I adore these shows a lot.


Schitts Creek - Schitts Creek is a comedy show centered on the Rose family and their lives when they relocated to the small town because they lost all their money. This is where siblings David and Alexis Rose had a lot of growing up to do, and with six seasons in, these two have developed a lot. This is also where they found romance: David with Patrick, his business partner, and Alexis with Ted, a vet who was currently in the Galapagos Islands. While romance was part of the siblings’ story line, there was no love lost between Johnny and Moira Rose, and the show also gives glimpses of their dynamic. 

Miranda - At the center of Miranda is the titular character trying to find love, even when the world sort of conspires against her. She goes about trying to improve herself, going on dates, strengthening her relationship with her friend and her mother. Her main romance arc is with Gary, primarily with their will-they-won’t-they dynamic. 

Grace and Frankie - Romance is only one of the facets in this show as two women try to move on with their lives when their husbands announced that they were going to be with each other. It has evolved into a show about friendship and family, with their children joining in the fold. The show also depicts the relationship struggles of Sol and Robert, and that despite being together, happily ever after isn’t as problem-free, and there would be more challenges ahead.

Thursday Movie Picks is hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

10 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of these but Grace and Frankie is one I've been meaning to watch for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely show. I really like the dynamic of the cast.

      Delete
  2. I'm 0/3 on your picks but I hear so many good things about Schitt's Creek. I should start it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schitts Creek is best for binge-watching. I'm waiting for the season to end so I can watch the new season in one go.

      Delete
  3. I've seen a few episodes of Schitt's Creek but I wouldn't say I'm a regular viewer how Catherine O'Hara is a comedy goddess! It is a funny show.

    I don't have Netflix or I would watch Grace & Frankie which speaking of goddesses has two bonafides in Lily Tomlin and Jane Freaking Fonda!!! Hopefully someday I'll be able to do a marathon view.

    I'm not familiar with your third but I'm always up for a good romance.

    This is a genre I'm always willing to give at least a chance. Sometimes they're great and sometimes painfully forced but the good ones are worth wading through the bad to find. My three are from different decades with slightly different formats.

    The Nanny (1993-1999)-Fran Fine (Fran Drescher) is working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens when her boyfriend kicks her out in one of those crushing scenes. What is she to do, where is she to go? She’s out on her fanny. So it’s over the bridge to the Sheffield's door, she was there to sell make-up but the father saw more….she had style, she had flair, she was there! That's how she became the Nanny. And for the next five years Fran and her widowed commitmentphobe boss Broadway producer Maxwell Sheffield (Charles Shaughnessy) flirt, fight and fall in love while she raises his three children and causes dozens of calamities assisted her dizzy friend Val (Rachel Chagall), brassy mother Sylvia (Renee Taylor), forgetful Grandma Yetta (Ann Morgan Gilbert) as well as Niles, the butler (Daniel Davis) and Max’s brittle, cynical partner C.C. Babcock (Lauren Lane) who share a love/hate relationship while she too pines for Maxwell.

    Pushing Daisies (2007)-Pie maker Ned (Lee Pace) has the ability to bring dead things back to life with his touch. He yearns for his childhood crush Chuck (Anna Friel) who he has brought back from the dead but at a cost. They cannot touch or Chuck will perish. While they try and find a solution they work with private investigator Emerson Cod (Chi McBride) and co-worker Olive Snook (a scene stealing Kristin Chenoweth) with Ned using his abilities to solve murder cases. Quirky, unique series was cancelled far too soon.

    Love, American Style (1969-1974)-Comic anthology series that each week presented a series of vignettes featuring the various trials and tribulations of falling in love, marriage, falling back in love etc. With a constantly changing cast the show provided an early start for many future stars including Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, Bernadette Peters, Burt Reynolds, Martin Sheen and many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should edit my description of Miranda. It's Miranda Hart's show, and her love interest was played by Tom Ellis.

      I'll try to look for The Nanny. I've heard of this show and I've been meaning to watch it. I think I've seen a couple episodes of Pushing Daisies but never got around to finishing it.

      Delete
  4. Seen the first three from start to (finish (Can't believe Schitt's Creek is ending I can't!!!!) and then I've seen maybe 1,5 seasons of Grace and Frankie. I suck with comedies hence the reason why I haven't caught up with the last.

    Good picks, I love the first one and well Miranda is a hidden gem of television - such fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace and Frankie won't end for another season, plenty of time to catch up!

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh I love Schitt’s Creek and Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara are great as the horrible couple trying to live in the small town. I have not seen your other 2 picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are funny in Schitts Creek!

      Delete