Top Ten Tuesday: Books With Single-Word Titles

My choices for this week are books on my shelves that I haven’t read yet. Maybe writing about them would get me excited to pick up these reads. I haven’t been really making time for reading, but maybe one of these will break the reading slump.


Scythe is a really popular series in the book community. I’m not sure about the contents of the book except that it is set in the world where people don’t die anymore, and there are chosen people called Scythes who are given the power to decide who is going to die. I really don’t know much else beyond that. 


I saw this book on instagram, and it interested me enough to get myself a copy. I haven’t read much reviews about it, but according to goodreads it is about a teenager who was left deaf after an illness, and tries to adapt to her new situation. I think the post I read this from gave a good pitch as to why one should pick up this book, and I was sold. 


Honestly I got a copy of Crudo because I had a copy of her non-fiction book, The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone and thought her fiction book would be an interesting one. 


Educated is another popular book in the book community, where the author, who was raised in a survivalist sort of home left her family and studied in a prestigious university. In hindsight, I am doing a bad job pitching this book. I got curious about it, so I went ahead and got a copy. 


I’m not exactly sure what this is about, or if this is still a book I would want to read. The reason I picked this one up is because I adored “I am Having So Much Fun Here Without You”, and I was hoping for a repeat reception. This is a sci-fi sort of a book, I think? 


I placed this on my to-read list based on ‘Bridget Jones’s Diary Meets Americanah’. While I have not yet read Americanah (but love Adichie’s writing!), I think the vibe of the book is one I’m going to like. This is possibly the book I’m most excited to read. 


I saw this book on a YouTube video, a book haul I think. I liked the simplicity of the cover, and the description. It was a book I don’t hear a lot of people talk about, and I wanted to get to it before the hype does. This is another book I’m excited to read. 


After reading ‘Thirteen’, I went ahead and picked up the first three books in that series (Eddie Flynn series), and this standalone. The Goodreads synopsis gives you nothing, and some reviews say it’s best to go in it blind. I’m hoping to get to this before the next Eddie Flynn book comes out. 


One of these days I am going to get over my fear of Neil Gaiman. He’s one of those authors whose works I find intimidating because everyone seems to like his books and there’s this pressure that I have to like them too. His works are a bit of a hit or miss, but this is one I’m hoping I like. 


I picked this one to add to my book collection because I’m always on the look out for young adult books set in the UK. It’s a teen contemporary book, and the Goodreads synopsis doesn’t say much about it so I guess I’m going in blind.

Top Ten Tuesdays is created by The Broke and the Bookish and is hosted by That Artsy Reader.

12 comments:

  1. Educated was a great memoir for sure.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same fear of Neil Gaiman, whom I have not read yet. Neverwhere is where I've considered starting as well, but it seems a little dark for my taste. In the end, maybe Neil Gaiman will just never be for me.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaiman's works has always been on the dark side though, based on what I read. I don't think I'll ever get over being intimidated by his works.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these. I'm already behind on my reading goals for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mostly read graphic novels this year. If I did read a novel, it'll be one that's around 100-150 pages long. I don't have an attention span for a usual 300-page book as of now.

      Delete
  4. Some really good picks on here! I have to admit I got Crudo just because of the title I needed to figure out what it meant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the mood for short books these days, maybe I'll get to this sooner than I thought.

      Delete
  5. I loved Neverwhere - I think it was my first Gaiman book actually.

    ReplyDelete