Thursday Movie Picks: Spoofs, Satires, Mockumentary

I’m just going to go straight to my picks, if you don’t mind.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - I love this movie tenfold. This is a satirical take on the life of a pop star - his roots (when he was part of a band), down to him being a solo artist, and a bit of a pariah when business decisions didn’t go exactly his way. This was also done documentary-style, as the film is peppered with interviews from actual people in the music industry talking about the ups and downs of a fictional character. This movie was just plain fun, and I wish it got the reception it deserved.

Jojo Rabbit - I have mixed feelings about this film. I like the parts of the film separately, but not together. My favorite parts were of the lead with Scarlett Johansson - she deserved her supporting actress nomination for this. The shot of how her character departed the picture was such a poignant scene that when I recall that specific scene, the feeling of sadness envelops me. This is a movie about a boy who was a fascist during WWII and ends up having some sort of friendship with a Jewish girl hidden in his house. The movie’s main selling point though was that the boy has an imaginary friend in the form of Hitler.

What We Do in the Shadows - Unlike Jojo Rabbit, I have no mixed feelings about this because I adored this film. This was a fun satirical take about vampires and werewolves shot in documentary/interview style. This warrants a re-watch on my end soon. I haven’t seen the tv show of the same title, but I hope that it’ll be good as this.

Thursday Movie Picks is hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves

18 comments:

  1. The TV series is even better than the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try and watch the show sometime this week!

      Delete
  2. We match on Jojo though I loved it more than you did. I want to rewatch What We Do in the Shadows now since it's been so popular today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to rewatch it as well, I just haven't been in the mood to do so.

      Delete
  3. While I've heard of all three, and the second two are proving very popular this week, I've only seen the first. It was preposterous but also quite funny in parts. It helped that I'm an Andy Samberg fan.

    My three are all mockumentaries from the United Kingdom.

    A Hard Day’s Night (1964)-John, Paul, George and Ringo portray themselves in this skewed view of “a day in the life” of The Beatles as they enjoy their first brush with fame and the craziness that went along with it. Just this side of reality the film takes you for a fun ride with the lads from Liverpool who sell this by being so effortlessly appealing.

    The Big Tease (1999)-Scottish hairdresser Crawford Mackenzie (Craig Ferguson) dreams of leaving his small village to compete at the World Hairdresser International Federation annual contest and winning the coveted Platinum Scissors Award. It looks like his wish is about to become a reality when he receives an invitation. Determined to immortalize his shining moment for posterity he heads for the contest in LA with a documentary crew but comes crashing down to earth when he finds he was only invited as an observer. Unwilling to be cowed and with the help of PR agent Candy (Frances Fisher) he pursues his goal with relentless zeal all recorded by his tagalong crew.

    Confetti (2006)-Faux documentary follows three couples as they battle for the coveted title of Confetti magazine’s “Most Original Wedding of the Year” along with a house and a cover shoot. Fitness enthusiasts Josef & Isabelle (Meredith MacNeill and Stephen Mangan) want a tennis-themed wedding. Romantic movie fans Matt & Sam's (Jessica Stevenson and Martin Freeman) are determined to have a ceremony inspired by Hollywood musicals. Finally naturalists Michael & Joanna (Robert Webb and recent Oscar winner Olivia Colman) want their big day to a celebration of the great outdoors with Michael adamantly insisting that he be nude during the ceremony. Hit and miss but funny overall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 great picks by Taika Waititi. I love his films in the way it blends comedy and tragedy as well as often showing a lot of heart. Popstar is underrated. It's fucking hilarious in everything that pop stars do and how stupid they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popstar definitely deserved more attention than it got.

      Delete
  5. I've seen Jojo Rabbit around on many lists, although I'm not sure if I want to watch it due to it dealing with Hitler. Great list!

    Check out my Thursday Movie Picks!

    Ronyell @ The Surreal Movies and TV Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very recent addition to the genre that everyone was raving about!

      Delete
  6. Three great picks! Pop Star definitely did not get the love it deserved. It's not quite Jack Sparrow but comes pretty close! And you can't ever go wrong with Taika Waititi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven’t even heard about Pop Star which sounds intriguing and would like to see it. I think Shadows is the biggie this week and I so would love to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen the movie, only the TV series of What We Do in the Shadows, which I did not like. Hope the movie is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What didn't you like about the TV show? I still have to watch it, but I'm hoping I'd like it. The movie is great though!

      Delete
  9. I've never seen Popstar but it's been on a couple of these lists so I'll have to give it a go! Definitely love the other two though :)

    ReplyDelete