The Five Senses Blogathon

Nostra from My Filmviews is hosting a blogathon! I’ve participated in some of his blogathons and enjoyed doing so. Participants are tasked to describe something movie related (it can be an actual movie, or part of the movie going experience) that they associate with the five senses (sight, sound, taste, smell, touch). Here is what I’ve come up with for the blogathon:

SIGHT
This might sound really weird, but imagine if you were a book lover and you liked the smell of books? That feeling is similar when I enter a new cinema/theater I’ve never been to before. I have my usual theater haunts and I rarely watch movies outside my country so when I get a chance to go, I take it. I take in how it looks, the cinematic practices in the area and the whole atmosphere of my surroundings. It’s kind of like exploring a familiar home, and I tend not to forget the first cinema I’ve stepped in to when in other places. 

SOUND
One of my favorite movies released last year was 2013’s Begin Again, and it was the first thing I remembered with this category. I can’t choose a particular scene (I had three sequences in mind) because they all represent some kind of sound - not only musically speaking, but the context of the sound to the development of the characters.

TASTE
For this, I’m going to the recent food-filled movie I’ve seen: Adrienne Shelly’s Waitress. I am not a pie person but the pies look so delicious that I’m willing to take a day off from my anti-pie persona and have a taste of those concoctions. 

SMELL
This was the category I had trouble with. The scrumptious food in movies look like they smell good (part of the food’s taste is in the smell). I suppose dirty places in movies smell pungent, and clean places always smell nice. So I went with a smell that I think I’d like even in the movies - the smell of rain falling. The air doesn’t smell the same every rain pour. On an already cold day, it smells cold, there are times that it has this refreshing smell or sometimes you can smell the heat rising from the granite and cement when a shower meets you on a hot day. A scene that I closely remember with this sense is 2003's Love Me If You Dare, starring Marion Cotillard and Guillaume Canet.

TOUCH
Touch is a sense that I think of in a romantic sense when it comes to movies. The proximity of two people, from when they’re getting closer and closer to each other, that each move they make conveys a message of wanting and longing and trying to savor the moment before they actually touch. There are so many movies to choose from, but I’m going with A Single Man. There are many moments of touching in this movie that convey different messages, with the particulars surrounding Colin Firth’s character as he interacts with an array of characters in the film.

7 comments:

  1. I got trouble with smell too! Great choices :) Here my entry https://cinemaliquido.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/suggestion-the-five-senses-blogathon-find-out-all-my-choices/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these choices. Sight and Smell are my favorite picks. Even within the same city, theaters can differ wildly on an aesthetic level so I completely understand where you're coming from. Would never have thought of rainfall for smell, but again great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices! I love getting to a theater early and trying out new cinemas. It's nice to situate myself and get comfortable when I'm not watching something at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining! Very interesting choices and like you I love the experience of seeing movies abroad (or in a different city)...always nice to see what a cinema is like (especially the smaller ones).

    ReplyDelete